Sunday, July 18, 2010

Week two continued

Sorry for taking so long. School has been keeping me pretty dang busy and when i am home i am either practicing my knife skills, attempting some recipes, or just plain tired.

Tuesday we Made Mayonnaise which was used to make some american potato salad and chicken salad. We also made some German potato salad that was quite tasty.

Wednesday we continued with potatoes and made Potatoes Dauphinnoise, Duchesse Potatoes, and Potatoes Anna. The Duchesse Potatoes require the use of a Icing bag to pipe the mash onto a baking sheet and baking in the oven, definitely need some more practice there. The other two dishes were made of thin sliced potato that i had trouble getting thin enough so my seasoning wasn't too bad but it wasn't able to cook right.

Thursday we worked with rices. I made some rice pilaf, Risotto, and soft polenta. All of it went pretty well. Compared to the other days it was kind of easy considering there wasn't much prep or chopping required. We also made some Pasta dough in preparation for Friday.

Friday we made some baked penne in a classic tomato sauce, spaghetti tossed in a pesto sauce, and some fresh pasta in an alfredo sauce. Chef Sayre Congratulated me on making some really good pesto sauce! He even said I managed to season mine a little better than his!

Saturday I went in for some special practice towards a state competition for culinary students in late October, early March. Right now I have no idea how far I will get as the team will only consist of and it is some hard training but I am going to keep at it as long as I can. Oh, I managed to slice my thumb open about halfway through the day but bandaged it can kept going so I got my first little taste of the more painful side of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment