Tuesday, July 20, 2010

i need to update!

Sorry about that! Things definitely did not slow down at school the past week and a half and I kept forgetting to update.

Week 3 was pretty fun but kind of a blur when I look back on it. It all is. Week 3 consisted of making both a veal and a white chicken stock and then using them throughout the week to make various mother sauces, sauces (some made from mother sauces, some not) and soups. This continued into week 4 till Tuesday.

The list, in case you're interested:
Espagnole
Demi-glace
Bechamel sauce
Mornay
Soubise
Veloute
Supreme sauce
Allemande sauce
Hollandaise sauce
Beurre Blanc
Bell Pepper Coulis (very tasty!)
Robert sauce
Chasseur (hunter's) sauce
Port and dried-cherry Demi sauce
French Onion soup
Cream of Mushroom
Egg-Drop soup
Veal Consomme (pretty interesting to make)
Vegetable soup
Puree of Black Bean soup

During all this I also had a practical on Friday of week 3 where I had to make mayonnaise and Veloute sauce marking the end of basics 1. My mayo got a perfect score as I got a bit of practice in at home but not so much on the Veloute. Overall I still had a pretty decent score.

Wednesday of week 4 we started getting into animals and their fabrication, starting with fish. Chef Sayre Demonstrated fabrication of some Salmon, Redfish, and Yellowtail Sole. Each of us ended up fabricating a Redfish and Sole and stored them for cooking on Thursday. Thursday was fun but seemed hectic going in because we were preparing 8 portions in total 6 different ways! We grilled, poached, baked, fried and sauteed filets breaded, unbreaded as well as skin-on and skin-off.

oh! I got my grades for basics 1.

I got 90%! Doing good but room to improve!

Tomorrow we work with shellfish!

No comments:

Post a Comment